China buys US soybeans for first time since trade war
China has bought US soybeans for the first time since the trade war between the two countries started in July - a move hailed as a "great step" by US officials.
One of the biggest casualties of the US-China trade war has been the US soybean sector.
China is by far the world's biggest importer of soybeans.
And Beijing's high tariffs placed on US soybeans this year has been severely hurting US farmers.
A trade truce between China and the US was reached earlier this month however, and there had been much anticipation that China would soon return to the US soybean market.
But while China's purchase of 1.13 million tonnes of US soybeans on Thursday was met with much applause from some, others said the purchase was too small, and not a sign that the trade war was cooling.
"Having a million, million-and-a-half tonnes is great, it's wonderful, it's a great step," said Steve Censky deputy secretary of the US Department of Agriculture.
"But there needs to be a lot more as well, especially if you consider it in a normal, typical year, we'll be selling 30 to 35 million metric tonnes to China."
The sale also failed to excite traders, who said the numbers fell short of estimates, which saw a sell-off in soybean futures.
"It's a start, but it's not nearly enough to fix our problems in regards to soybeans and a soybean oversupply in this country," said Joe Vaclavik, president of Standard Grain, a Tennessee-based brokerage.