Jussie Smollett suspended from Empire TV show
Jussie Smollett will not appear in the final two episodes of Empire, the show's executive producers have said.
In a statement, they said the past few weeks had been "incredibly emotional" for the team.
They called allegations that Mr Smollett had falsely claimed he was the victim of a hate crime "disturbing".
The 36-year-old African-American actor is accused of filing a fake police report claiming he was the victim of a homophobic and racist assault.
Police say he staged the attack because he was "dissatisfied" with his salary.
In the statement, the Fox production team said: "The events of the past few weeks have been incredibly emotional for all of us. Jussie has been an important member of our Empire family for the past five years and we care about him deeply.
"While these allegations are very disturbing, we are placing our trust in the legal system as the process plays out.
"We are also aware of the effects of this process on the cast and crew members who work on our show, and to avoid further disruption on set we have decided to remove the role of Jamal from the final two episodes of the season."
It is not clear whether Mr Smollett will return to the show in future seasons.
US media reported that the actor was seen at the studio where Empire is filmed on Thursday afternoon.